Jun 24, 2018
2015-2016 USC Sumter Bulletin (Archived Copy) [Archived Catalog]
Sport and Entertainment Management, B.S.
The Sport and Entertainment Management (SPTE) Department at the University of South Carolina prepares students for a variety of managerial positions in the sport and entertainment industry.
The goal of the SPTE department is to create an integrated academic learning environment for analyzing and resolving the challenges in the business of sport and entertainment. The SPTE department provides a comprehensive curriculum that includes courses in general education, business and sport and entertainment management, as well as two experiential learning experiences (practicum and internship) under the supervision of industry professionals and SPTE faculty.
The faculty and staff are committed to providing support for student achievement. Students can enter the industry with exceptional knowledge, professional preparation, a strong alumni network, and the confidence to assume leadership positions.
- Students should be able to demonstrate knowledge of the qualifications, job requirements, and working conditions for a sport and entertainment industry position.
- Students should be able to demonstrate the computer and technical skills needed for a sport and entertainment industry position.
- Students should be able to apply learned concepts and theory to demonstrate an understanding of the nature of the sport and entertainment industry.
Degree Requirements (127 hours)
- Carolina Core Courses
- College of HRSM Required Courses
- Related Coursework
- Major Coursework
- Free Electives
In order to enroll in the Professional Division of SPTE, students must complete 45 credit hours in the courses indicated as Pre-Professional Division with a minimum grade point average of 2.75. Students who do not meet the specific course, semester hour, and grade point average requirements for progression must continue in the Pre-Professional division or change to another major. Only students admitted to the professional division of Sport and Entertainment Management will be allowed to enroll for more than 18 credit hours of SPTE course work.
Pre-Professional courses include the following:
- Carolina Core Courses within the CMW, ARP and CMS areas
- Pre-Professional College Required Courses
- Pre-Professional Related Courses
- Pre-Professional Major Courses
Course Grade Requirements
Students in this major must receive a C or better in the following courses:
- The CMW Carolina Core Courses
- All SPTE Major Courses
- All SPTE Major Elective Courses
- All Related Coursework
Graduation requires a 2.75 GPA. In order to satisfy the requirements for a degree in Sport and Entertainment Management.
Minor Requirements for Sport and Entertainment Management
Sport and Entertainment Management majors may pursue a minor in any course of study offered by the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management (HRSM) as well as any other University program with an approved minor. College of HRSM required courses may not be counted toward a minor.
B.S. with Distinction
The Departmental Undergraduate Research Track is available to students majoring in sport and entertainment management who wish to participate in significant research activities of the major field in collaboration with, or under the supervision of, a faculty mentor.
A minimum GPA of 3.50 in major courses, 3.30 overall
Three courses in addition to the major requirements:
Presentation of the senior thesis in an appropriate venue (SEVT, USC Discovery Day, IAVM research session, NASSM, CSRI).
A written sponsorship agreement from the faculty mentor will be placed on file in the department office.
Students who successfully fulfill these requirements with a GPA of at least 3.50 in all major courses and a 3.30 overall GPA will be awarded their degree “With Distinction in Sport and Entertainment Management” upon graduation.
1. Carolina Core General Education Requirements and General Education Requirements (31-43 Hours)
Sport and Entertainment Management majors must fulfill all Carolina Core general education requirements. The Carolina Core consists of 31 to 43 credit hours of required coursework in ten different areas of study. Students select one or more courses for each learning outcome to satisfy the minimum number or credit hours required. (for additional information and lists of approved courses, please refer to the Carolina Core section of the Bulletin.)
CMW: Effective, Engaged, and Persuasive Communication: Written Component (6 Hours)
ARP: Analytical Reasoning & Problem Solving (6-7 Hours)
SCI: Scientific Literacy (7 Hours)
- Two approved Carolina Core SCI courses, including at least one laboratory, selected from Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Geology, Marine Science or Physics
GFL: Global Citizenship and Multicultural Understanding/Foreign Language (0-6 Hours)
- College of HRSM students must demonstrate proficiency in a foreign language by achieving a score of 2 or higher on the foreign language placement test or by completing one foreign language course through 110 or 121. See list of approved Carolina Core GFL courses.
GHS: Global Citizenship and Multicultural Understanding/Historical Thinking (3 Hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core GHS course
GSS: Global Citizenship and Multicultural Understanding/Social Sciences (3 Hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core GSS course
AIU: Aesthetic and Interpretive Understanding (3 Hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core AIU course
CMS: Effective, Engaged, and Persuasive Communication (3 hours)
INF: Information Literacy
- Any approved overlay or stand-alone Carolina Core INF course
VSR: Values, Ethics and Social Responsibility
- Any approved overlay or stand-alone Carolina Core VSR course
2. College of HRSM Required Courses (21 Hours)
Pre-Professional Division College Required Courses (9 Hours)
College Required Course (12 Hours)
3. Related Coursework (12 Hours)
Pre-Professional Related Coursework (9 Hours)
Other Related Coursework (3 Hours)
4. Major Area Coursework (36 Hours)
Pre-Professional Division Major Courses (12 Hours)
* SPTE 295 - Practicum is the final course taken in the Pre-Professional Division required hours. Students must achieve the required 2.75 GPA prior to enrolling in SPTE 295 .
Professional Division Major Courses (24 Hours)
5. Free Electives (15-27 Hours)
The SPTE curriculum includes 15-27 hours of electives depending on how students fulfill the Carolina Core requirements. Courses used to satisfy the elective requirement must be approved by the SPTE advisor (including additional electives in the major).
**Major Electives which may be used as Free Electives include the following courses with advisor's consent: