2015-2016 USC Sumter Bulletin [Archived Catalog]
Associate of Science (Fort Jackson), A.S.
The USC Fort Jackson Program is designed for and awards Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees to active-duty military personnel (all branches), their family members, Department of Defense civilian employees, National Guard members, reservists, and veterans. Civilians, including Columbia-campus students, are welcome to take courses on a space-available basis, but they may not earn these associate degrees. For further information, call 803-782-8810.
- Students will be able to generate and comprehend written communication through writing coherent expository, persuasive, critical and analytic essays, and through reading and analyzing literature.
- Students will demonstrate organizational and research skills which will allow them to locate, analyze, and synthesize information.
- Students will be able to demonstrate the methods of preparation, practice, and good delivery of a speech.
- Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between a dynamic delivery and effective oral communication.
- Students will be able to solve problems involving derivatives and integrals of elementary algebraic, exponential, and logarithmic functions.
- Students will be able to find maxima, minima, rates of change, and area under a curve.
- Students will learn how to organize and graph statistical data.
- Students will learn how to use a computer to solve problems, and will learn basic computer programming.
- Students will define, understand, and use scientific, biological, and/or medical terminology.
- Students will demonstrate skills for word processing, data management and graphing, and statistical processing and analysis.
- Students will be able to describe life processes that power, support, and move parts of the human body.
- Students will gain an understanding of the basic concepts of biology OR geology OR geography.
Degree Requirements (60 Hours)
(For Active-Duty Personnel and Their Family Members Only)